Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

> [You (emaziuk@curtin.edu.au)]
> >FWIW I've been using run-parts in ip-up and ip-down for some time now,
> >the scripts reconfigure stuff based on my ip address (2 ISPs)  etc.
> >and everything works like a charm.  I dunno about packages placing
> >scripts in ip-[up|down].d/ -- I'd rather put them in
> >/usr/doc/<package>/examples.
>
> One question.  You're obviously carrying along the `ip-up' argument list,
> i.e.,
>     Arg  Name               Example
>     $1   Interface name     ppp0
>     $2   The tty            ttyS1
>     $3   The link speed     38400
>     $4   Local IP number    12.34.56.78
>     $5   Peer  IP number    12.34.56.99
>
> These variables are clearly being propogated to your (custom rolled)
> ip-up.d/* scripts.  How are you propogating these values?  Environment
> variables?  We'd have to std'ize the variable names too, if so.
>
> .....A. P. Harris...apharris@onShore.com...<URL:http://www.onShore.com/>

My first attempt at this was to add these lines to the scripts:

  # These variables are for the use of the scripts run by run-parts
  PPP_IFACE="$1"
  PPP_TTY="$2"
  PPP_SPEED="$3"
  PPP_LOCAL="$4"
  PPP_REMOTE="$5"
  export PPP_IFACE PPP_TTY PPP_SPEED PPP_LOCAL PPP_REMOTE

  run-parts /etc/ppp/ip-up.d

Any better suggestions ?

Cheers, Phil.