Re: Taking over production of emacs20 package.

Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu> writes:

> Feel free to let me know if you have suggestions about how this
> package should be handled.  I'm planning to cooperate with the xemacs
> and emacs (19) package maintainers to make sure we support the
> simultaneous installation of all three packages.

I am not a developer, but I have a few comments.

When I run dselect, I see some Emacs packages as seperate deb
packages, e.g. auctex. Now, I prefer XEmacs, which includes auctex,
but how could I know that? Either make such packages shared between
GNU and XEmacs, or write in the control file: GNU Emacs only.

In the /etc dir, I have three site-start dirs:
/etc/emacs/site-start.d, /etc/xemaxs/site-start-19.d, and
/etc/xemacs/site-start-20.d.  I haven't touched these dirs (except by
installing debs), and now I see their contents differ.  We need some
coordination here. The same problem applies to the site-lisp dirs in
/usr/lib. Maybe the Debian Policy should be extended to cover the
usage of these dirs.

- Sten Anderson