Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

A. P. Harris writes:
> I think that /etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down should use 'run-parts'
> against, say, the directories /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d/.

> This would allow, for instance, MTA packages to ship little scripts to
> flush the mail queue when the link comes up, pop-deamons to start up,
> bind to reload, clock sync daemons to re-sync, firewall and masquerading
> rules to run, and dynamic PPP hosts to update some file on some server
> indicating their current IP.

This a good idea, as long as we make sure the user knows about it and can
shut it off.  Otherwise it will be rather inconvenient for people who don't
always connect to the same server, or who use ppp as a poor man's LAN, as I
do.
--
John Hasler
john@dhh.gt.org (John Hasler)