Re: Debian Administration tool

On Mon, 15 Dec 1997, Brian Bassett wrote:

> I recently switched to Debian from RedHat 4.2 and the one thing that I
> think that Debian could really use is an administration tool.
>
> Thus, I've decided to try and write such a tool.  I've set up a webpage
> (http://www.butterfly.ml.org/debadmin/) and a mailing list (instructions
> at the webpage).  If you are interested in helping, feel free to subscribe
> to the list and offer any advice.  The current plan calls for three
> interfaces (text-based curses, X, and Web/CGI). I think that the project
> would be benefitted by anyone who has experience programming X or X
> toolkits, or Perl CGIs.

There are several Linux configuration projects going on already.  It would
be nice not to duplicate effort, so you might want to start a new one only
if an existing system can't be extended to do what you want.  See also:

	- The Dotfile Generator
	- Linuxconf
	- cfengine
	- COAS (Caldera's thingy at http://www.caldera.com)
	- figurine
	- kde/gnome have config systems I think.

My web page about the "perfect" configuration system lists most things I've
thought of on this subject:
	http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/figurine/ideal.html
(this is part of figurine, which is on indefinite hold at the moment)

Have fun,

Avery