Re: ppp's ip-{up,down} and possible utilization of 'run-parts'

Adam P. Harris wrote:

> Maybe I should submit this as a wishlist to the bug system, but I was
> interested in getting some comments first.
>
> I think that /etc/ppp/ip-up and /etc/ppp/ip-down should use
> 'run-parts' against, say, the directories /etc/ppp/ip-{up,down}.d/.

So do I. I first asked Christoph for this back in the spring, and I've since
asked Phil Hands about it when he took over the package and I've seen nothing
happen yet..

> This would allow, for instance, MTA packages to ship little scripts to
> flush the mail queue when the link comes up, pop-deamons to start up,
> bind to reload, clock sync daemons to re-sync, firewall and
> masquerading rules to run, and dynamic PPP hosts to update some file
> on some server indicating their current IP.

.. and slrn and leafnode to update their newsgroups list and fetch news.
Etc, etc.

--
see shy jo