Re: Changelog policy being ignored

On Mon, Dec 15, 1997 at 01:11:00PM +0000, Ian Jackson wrote:
> Martin Mitchell <martin@debian.org>:
> > It is clear that the actual maintainer, when preparing the new
> > release, did not downloaded the non-maintainer release beforehand. The
> > non-maintainer releases were made about 2 months before these current
> > releases.
>
> I'm sorry, but it's you who's not following the policy.  Maintainers
> are not required to download non-maintainer releases.  Instead,
> according to the `Developers' Reference' s4.3:
>  Maintainers other than the usual package maintainer should make as few
>  changes to the package as possible, and they should always send a
>  unified context diff (diff -u) detailing their changes to the bug
>  tracking system properly flagged with the correct package so that the
>  usual maintainer is kept aware of the situation.

Is the regular maintainer required to apply the diff? In doing
some non-maintainer upgrades just for libc6 reasons, I have
fixed some bugs where these are readily fixed. If the non-maintainer
work does not have to be used, there is every risk of bugs
being closed which are then unfixed with the next maintainer
release.

I assume then that you suggest the non-maintainer files a bug
report with the diff, and that the regular maintainer would
close the bug when they have applied the diff.

Hamish