/sbin/hwclock and /etc/init.d/boot

I have the 2.7.1-2 version of util-linux installed.  It appears that
the /sbin/clock program is no longer available as it has been
replaced by /sbin/hwclock.  However, there is still a part of
/etc/init.d/boot that calls clock to set up the hardware clock and
system clock correspondence.

 #
 # Set and adjust the CMOS clock.
 #
 if [ ! -f /etc/adjtime ]
 then
   echo "0.0 0 0.0" > /etc/adjtime
 fi
 clock -a $GMT

I may have missed an update to /etc/init.d/boot somewhere along the
line.  In fact, I am almost sure I have because now I don't even have
/etc/init.d/boot.  I have

-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         7305 Sep 30 12:50 /etc/init.d/boot.OLD
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         6680 Feb 13  1997 /etc/init.d/boot.dpkg-old
-rwxr-xr-x   1 root     root         7275 May 16  1997 /etc/init.d/boot.kbd-saved

My immediate problem is that I have the hardware clock set to GMT and
my system clock is never getting set to the local timezone.  I think I
will also have a problem the next time I reboot because it looks as if
/etc/init.d/boot will never get run.

I would welcome suggestions on how to get my system back in synch.