Re: Libc6 2.0.5c has a leak in inet_ntoa

On Wed, 10 Dec 1997 10:05:16 +1100 Craig Sanders (cas@taz.net.au)
wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Philippe Troin wrote:
>
> > Libc6 2.0.5c has a leak in inet_ntoa.
> >
> > [...deleted...]
> >
> > In the meantime, you can link programs which do heavy inet_ntoa with
> > libpthread, it will cure the leak (diald 0.16.4-11 does this, as a
> > temporary measure while waiting for libc6 2.0.6).
>
> ok, this is the bug i was looking for. anyone know if there is a fix
> for this yet?
>
> i just ran ldd on a random sample of daemons (sendmail, proftpd, squid,
> inetd, rpc.nfsd and apache...all latest versions as of yesterday) - none
> of them are linked with libpthread. imo it should be fixed in libc6 not in
> the daemons....however, if a fix isn't going to be out for a while then
> these and other programs need to be recompiled asap.
>
> this bug is critical severity for any moderate-to-heavy use server.
> (it's crashed one of my mail servers and one of my gateway boxes already)
>
> anyone got a fix apart from recompiling everything that uses inet_ntoa?
>
> i've started a cron job to stop and restart various services every few
> hours, but that's a real crappy solution....especially for squid - squid
> can take half an hour or more to restart on a big cache.

Libc6 2.0.6 fixes the problem.
Temporarily, you can link your programs with -lpthread.
*or* you can extract the working inet_ntoa.o from libc.a and link this function statically with:
	ar x /usr/lib/libc.a inet_ntoa.o
	ld <switches> inet_ntoa.o

If Debian wants to have a patched libc6 2.0.5c, I've got the four lines patch.

Phil.