Re: perl module packages: why do they exist?

Adam P. Harris <apharris@onshore.com> wrote:
> Huh??? Perl itself?  I don't think this is possible.

Take a look at TIMB/perl5.004_04.tar.gz

It is automatically brought in when you install something in
CPAN that requires a more recent perl version that what you
have.

Of course, you can bail out of the install at that point, but that's not
the issue here.

In my opinion, once we've evolved a good cpan->debian packager, we
should integrate it with the CPAN module so that it uses this mechanism
to build, test and install cpan modules.  Presumably, it should also
archive the installed package somewhere (at least as an option), and
manage minor revision numbers automatically.

Further, it's going to be essential that we get dependencies *right*
for the part of the system which can be managed via CPAN. This is going
to be tricky -- since dependency information in cpan is embedded in
makefile rules, we'll probably have to implement a shared database so
that as people use the system we accumulate such information. [This
might also be a fertile ground for people to get together when thrashing
out problems with fringe packages.]

CPAN is just too big, and too useful, to ignore.

--
Raul