Re: autoconf dilemma

On Fri 28 Nov 1997, Herbert Xu wrote:
> Hi:
> 	I've found a bug in autoconf which prevents the building of libc5
> packages on a libc6 system when autoconf is used.  autoconf detects whether
> libcrypt (and others) are needed by testing whether they exist, which is always
> true on a libc6 system.  But even so, because we're building a libc5 package,
> we don't want to link against libcrypt and others.  Does anybody have a nice
> solution to this problem? Thanks in advance.

check for the crypt function without useing the -lcrypt flag.
but autoconf has several additional bugs, that prevent crosscompiling :
X11 is searched in /usr/X11R6/lib, and (if found) an -L/usr/X11R6/lib is
added). path searches should not be allowed in autoconf script, or there
should be a good way to disable them.

maybe we should mail to the autoconf mailing list ?
(if there is one)

andreas