Linux network monitoring.

Hello,
 I am a final year Computer Engineering student and my final year
project is TCP/IP optimisations and implementations. Do you know of any
tool under Linux that could be used to monitor the network for stats such
as data rate and packets lost etc? Would MRTG have the functionality
that I would need. The network would have to constantly monitored. I need
this statistical info. to provide comparitive analysis between the varous
methods.

Thanks for your time

Pat Barry