dpkg-buildpackage bug?

I don't know if this is a bug or it has already been posted as I can't get
to www.debian.org at the moment, so I apologize if this is the second time
around. Anyway, recently rebuilding my plan package to incorporate libc6
and lesstifg I ran into a problem. When I rebuilt dpkg-buildpackage used
the old debian/substvars rather than generating a new copy. This caused
plan to depend on lesstif (>=0.75a-1) when it was built with lesstifg
0.82-1 (see bug #15275). I deleted the file and dpkg-buildpackage created
a new debian/substvars fine. Should I have needed to delete this file by
hand? Cheers, Colin.

--
Colin Telmer
<mailto:telmerco@qed.econ.queensu.ca>