Re: Uploaded sgrep 0.99-4.1 (source i386) to master

On 25 Nov 1997, Mark W. Eichin wrote:

> > The current behaviour of Recommends also increases the likeliness of
>
> Umm, you do mean "the current behaviour of *dselect* with regard to
> Recommends", not the semantics of the field itself, I hope?

yes, but since dselect is the only thing which uses the Recommends field it
comes to (nearly) the same thing.

Recommends may be a good idea (i'm unsure about that - see below), but the
current implementation of how it is handled in dselect is horribly broken.

What, exactly, is Recommends supposed to do?  If I am correct that
dselect's behaviour is broken then how should it be handled instead? if
it is supposed to work just like Suggests, then what is the point of it?

i really can not see a use for Recommends which isn't just a more
irritating version of Suggests.

craig