Re: Upgrading 1.3.1 -> 2.0 (was Re: predepends on libc6?)

Scott Ellis <storm@gate.net> writes:

> Doing so will only mess up stuff that needs perl, and only until
> /etc/ld.so.conf is fixed and ldconfig is run.

You underestimate the importance of a working perl in Debian.

> My definition of smash was overwriting libc5 libraries by their
> libc6 equivilant and making a libc5 package unfixable. I admit it is
> a problem, just not as serious of one as libreadline used to be.

libreadline never did that to the best of my knowledge[1].

[1] On i386 anyway, on m68k for a couple of releases the libc5
versions of libreadline were linked with both libc5 and libc6 but,
that's a) not the same thing and b) I doubt you were referring to it.

--
James