Re: need approval: how to use dpkg-perl in preinst scripts

On 24 Nov 1997, Christian Leutloff wrote:

> Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@icenet.fi> writes:
>
> > Christian Schwarz wrote:
> > >
> > >    (a) make dpkg-perl `Essential'
> > >    (b) make the package `Pre-Depend' on dpkg-perl
> > >    (c) include dpkg-perl's code in the preinst script itself
> > >
> > > (a) has the problem that just tagging dpkg-perl `Essential' will not
> > > guarantee that dpkg-perl is installed (it's just "guaranteed" that
> > > it is not removed after it has been installed once)
>
> [..]
>
> > > That's why I suggest to implement (b) now. Since making a package
> > > Pre-Depend on another pages requires approval by the people on
> > > debian-devel, I officially request now to allow the
> > >
> > >    tetex-* packages to `Pre-Depend' on dpkg-perl
> > >

> > My 10penniä suggestion:
> >
> > Implement both a) and b) now.
> >
> > a) is the right_thing(tm) to do;
> > b) to solve tetex problem (thus only tetex should do that).
> >
> > Later (the sooner, the best), when one essential package will be
> > updated, simply put a depends: dpkg-perl  on it (you will need to do
> > this also for perl-base, which will be essential too).
> > This will ensure that the essential package will be installed even on
> > systems that hasn't tetex (like mine).
>
> good idea. What about (mis)using libc6 for this purpose!? Every
> new/upgrading system will upgrade libc6 -> every system gets the
> essential dpkg-perl ;-)

This was a joke, I hope.

But seriously: does everyone here agree that

   a) tetex-* will get `Pre-Depends: dpkg-perl'

 _and_

   b) dpkg-perl is tagged `Essential: yes'
 ?

If not, please speak up now (or be quiet forever :-)

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com