Re: need approval: how to use dpkg-perl in preinst scripts

Christian Leutloff wrote:
> Fabrizio Polacco <fpolacco@icenet.fi> writes:
> > Christian Schwarz wrote:
> > >
> > >    (a) make dpkg-perl `Essential'
> > >    (b) make the package `Pre-Depend' on dpkg-perl
> > >    (c) include dpkg-perl's code in the preinst script itself
> > >
> > > (a) has the problem that just tagging dpkg-perl `Essential' will not
> > > guarantee that dpkg-perl is installed (it's just "guaranteed" that
> > > it is not removed after it has been installed once)
>
> [..]
> > Implement both a) and b) now.
> >
> > a) is the right_thing(tm) to do;
> > b) to solve tetex problem (thus only tetex should do that).
> >
> > Later (the sooner, the best), when one essential package will be
> > updated, simply put a depends: dpkg-perl  on it (you will need to do
> > this also for perl-base, which will be essential too).
> > This will ensure that the essential package will be installed even on
> > systems that hasn't tetex (like mine).
>
> good idea. What about (mis)using libc6 for this purpose!? Every
> new/upgrading system will upgrade libc6 -> every system gets the
> essential dpkg-perl ;-)

What will be the mechanism for ensuring that new
essential packages are present when libc6 has been done?

Could dselect be made to install all new essential packages
it finds (if not doing it already) before any other packages?

I assume dpkg users are basically just out of luck.

What about new essential package requiring certain versions
of other essential packages, will this be forced upgrade?

Just some thoughts that, while not critical short term,
should be resolved long term.

t.aa