Re: regression

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, James R. Van Zandt wrote:
> Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> writes:
> >it occurs to me that we might
> >want to include regression tests in the standard package build
> >process.
>
> Excellent idea.  The GNU coding standards suggest this Makefile target:
>
> `check'
>      Perform self-tests (if any).  The user must build the program
>      before running the tests, but need not install the program; you
>      should write the self-tests so that they work when the program is
>      built but not installed.
>
> We could incorporate self-tests into the source package this way, and
> invoke them from debian/rules.  Ideally, this should be fed to the
> upstream developer too.

Sounds like a great idea.  I've never written such a test before,
however.  So let's just take my package typist, for example, which
is curses based.  Should the self-tests be built using 'expect'?
I'm definitely going to need to be educated in the tools before
I can start adding self-tests to my packages.

Ben.
    Chebucto    http://www.chebucto.ns.ca   aa458@chebucto.ns.ca