Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

Everything sounds good to me except:

Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org> writes:

> 1. Building a set of boot floppies, and sending the patches back
>    to Sven. I would probably also build a binary kernel package or three
>    if someone else doesn't. We need zImage and bzImage kernels for this
>    release. Also, I would build a 2.1.65 (or higher) package because it
>    has some devices and stuff the 2.0 kernel is lacking.

I just tonight installed 2.1.65 on my system.  It mistakenly thought
it had two CPUs and of course locked while trying to talk to the
(nonpresent) 2nd one.  This apparently is a known bug in 2.1.65.  I am
leery about packaging a 2.1.x kernel of any sort.  IF we do it, it
should NOT be the default and should be CLEARLY marked as UNSTABLE
with DIRE WARNINGS in ALL CAPS and **BLINKING** all over the place :-)

> 3. Modifying my debian-cd package to make both CDs bootable, so that you
>    can have alternate kernels on the source CD.

Also modifying it to work with hamm at all.  See my bug report.

> 4. Writing a shell-and-dialog hack that would run dpkg --set-selections
>    to set common configurations for your Debian system and install them,
>    saving the common man from having to run dselect. Should have done this
>    in 1.3 .

EXCELLENT idea.

--
John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for