Re: PPP scripting ....

On Mon, Nov 24, 1997 at 09:34:35PM -0800, gigabyte wrote:
> Actually i'm new to Linux ... (and after a few trial i got Debian
> running 100%...)
> but i can't figure out how to use the PPP (Internet dialing ....)
> i got the Ver: 1.3.1 from the "Boot Magazine ...."
> i know it's not the full-blown of it ... but 'got to start somewhere....

I got PPP set up for the first time the day before yesterday.  I was having
a pretty hard time, trying to dig through the PPP faq, and gave up
considering half the faq was on compiling and non related issues.  To get
you started look at these three files:

/usr/bin/pon  (one liner shell script)
/etc/ppp.options_out (which modem device, and what speed)
/etc/ppp.chatscript (phone number, password, etc...)

also look at /usr/doc/ppp

I dial up more than one place, so I just have multiple /etc/ppp.chatscript scripts.
(ie chat1, chat2) and just cat them to /etc/ppp.chatscript depending on which
service I want to use.  I sitll haven't found a good work around for this.

I guess I could modify pon to take an argument, but that would be too easy. :)

Radu