Re: need approval: how to use dpkg-perl in preinst scripts

Christian Schwarz wrote:

>    (a) make dpkg-perl `Essential'
>    (b) make the package `Pre-Depend' on dpkg-perl
>    (c) include dpkg-perl's code in the preinst script itself
>
> (a) has the problem that just tagging dpkg-perl `Essential' will not
> guarantee that dpkg-perl is installed (it's just "guaranteed" that
> it is not removed after it has been installed once)
>
> (c) is a _very bad_ idea (I don't think I have to explain why)
>
> That's why I suggest to implement (b) now. Since making a package
> Pre-Depend on another pages requires approval by the people on
> debian-devel, I officially request now to allow the
>
>    tetex-* packages to `Pre-Depend' on dpkg-perl

My 10penniä suggestion:

Implement both a) and b) now.

a) is the right_thing(tm) to do;
b) to solve tetex problem (thus only tetex should do that).

Later (the sooner, the best), when one essential package will be
updated, simply put a depends: dpkg-perl  on it (you will need to do
this also for perl-base, which will be essential too).
This will ensure that the essential package will be installed even on
systems that hasn't tetex (like mine).

Fabrizio