RFC: libc5 uploads for bo

Hi folks!

Here is the current proposal of how to choose version numbers for
"bo-updates" (that is, packages out of "unstable" compiled for bo/libc5).

(I hope that this solution works now! If everyone agrees I'll add
this to the next version of the Developers Reference.)

Some maintainers release libc5-compiled packages for "bo" from time to
time. This is generally a good thing and we'll hopefully have a
"bo-updates" (or "bo-unstable" or whatever) directory created on master
soon. (It has already been decided that such a directory will be created.)

With the uploads, special care has to be taken of how to choose the
versions:

  1. The version should be distinct from the "unstable" version (e.g.
     to identify bug reports)

  2. The version has to be greater than the "stable" version and
     less than the "unstable" version (to make upgrades to the "unstable"
     version possible)

Thus, the following versioning scheme should be used for "bo-uploads":

  For a bo-unstable package, the version number should have the
  following form:
           <latest stable release>-<unstable version>
  For example, package foo with version 2.5-1 in stable and 2.5-2 in
  unstable will get 2.5-1-2.5-2 in bo-unstable.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/