Re: Electrical Engineering / IC design packages

> IC design is an area where unix is important and where for a tremendous
> amount of tools source code is available (although most of the
> commercial one are only available as binary for commercial unixes). I do
> not know any distribution (even for commercial systems), which has many
> of these free packages included.
>
> If Debian could offer to a preconfigured system with all these
> applications, many institutions would run Linux workstations beside the
> commercial systems, since they save the installation effort for each
> individual package.
>
> Is anybody thinking of debianising the major packages in this field?

I agree! But the copyright is held to the university (berkeley).

> (http://www-cad.eecs.berkeley.edu/Software/software.html)
>
> (I did not check the copyright of each individual package, but at least
> source code is available for most of them)

--- snip ---
NOTICE: Before you download any software please be aware of the University's copyright
policies.
Permission to use, copy, modify, and distribute this software and its documentation for
educational, research and non-profit
   purposes, without fee, and without a written agreement is hereby granted,

Ok, it could go to non-free. Get the software and make a debian package!!

On my harddisk i have other electronic-software (the chipmunk software), but
it's a little bit big;
  5016922 Oct  3 02:33 chipmunk_1.0.orig.tar.gz         and all GPL!

Bye,

     Hartmut

--
 Hartmut Koptein                                       EMail:
 Friedrich-van-Senden-Str. 7                           koptein@et-inf.fho-emden.de