predepends on libc6?

In bug report 15091, Christian Meder suggests to me that I make gzip predepend
on libc6.  It is not clear to me that this is a good thing to do.

What is the process by which we expect current Debian 1.3.1 users to upgrade
to Debian 2.0?  I used the libc5->libc6 mini-Howto when I upgraded my
systems, and all went very smoothly.  Do we expect to suggest our users go
through a similarly manual process as part of the upgrade, or can we make it
all work without manual intervention?

I'd be pleased to do whatever is necessary in my packages (particularly
the essential ones like gzip) to make this transition as smooth as possible,
but I don't have a good sense of where we are with all this, and don't want
to do anything rash.

Bdale