Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

Dale Scheetz <dwarf@polaris.net> writes:

> > > YES! Go for it!
> >
> > Ok, I will, boss.  :-)
> >
> Boss? If you meant what you said, that is your title now ;-)
> You can count on me for whatever help the "old" testing team can provide.

Ok.  Here's the plan.  I'll propose a plan and a structure for the release,
written up completely in a debian-doc document.  I'll have it ready for
tomorrow.

Then we can debate it, and see if there is enough support for people to do
the various tasks defined within it.  Hopefully we can have a ratified plan
(with people signed up for each task) in place by Dec. 1st.

We definitely need a heirarchy of who reports to who, and who is responsible
for what, so we don't have people pointing fingers and stepping on toes.
There also needs to be a clear set of milestones, and who is responsible for
meeting them, and fallback plans for when they get missed.  The ultimate
fallback plan will be to just rename unstable to stable - so it is practically
impossible for us to miss our deadline (barring a system crash or network
problems).  Hopefully, we don't miss many milestones, and we can do
substantially better than that.

> > Maybe we should aim for Feb. 15?
> >
> I would say "aim" for 1 Feb. so we have a good chance of making a 15 Feb.
> release. Don't forget all those last minute failures that push the release
> date. (down servers and broken mirrors...seven years bad luck?)

Ok, Feb. 15th should be the publicly announced unmoving deadline, and Feb. 1st
should be the date that we really get everything done by.  We will complete
everything by the first (remember the fallback plan), so there's going to be
a lot of pressure on us (for two weeks) to replace stable before the 15th.

I think this is really Bruce's call.  I don't have the authority to pick
a release date.

Cheers,

 - Jim