Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

On Thu, Nov 20, 1997 at 11:14:33AM -0800, Jim Pick wrote:
> Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org> writes:
>
> > Let's not treat this as if we were in competition with Red Hat.
>
> But we are, sort of...  if Red Hat gains momentum in the Free Software
> community, and Debian slows down or stops (because we can't get our act
> together), even I'd seriously consider switching...

Right.  IMO, our commitment to free software is not enough to
distinguish us from RedHat.  If promoting free software was our only
goal, we would be better off taking RedHat as our base and adding
value to it.  It would sure be a hell of a lot less work.

Isn't one of our goals to be better than RedHat?  This is where the
competition comes in.  I can't speak for other developers, but it's
disheartening to me to put so much effort into Debian to make it the
best and then see that effort go largely ignored by most LInux users
while RedHat continues to grow in popularity.  Every time RedHat sends
me a free CD (for my work on ld.so) with their latest release, I
wonder if my skills wouldn't be better served adopting it and working
to make it better.

David
--
David Engel                        ODS Networks
david@sw.ods.com                   1001 E. Arapaho Road