Re: social contract

> First it was procps patches kept private. The original author
> had to take it back so that non-Debian systems could have
> a good version.

oh. that's a mess. but i can also report, that some authors ignore mails
(e.g. i never got any reply from the makedev author, at least i can't
 remember and i wrote a mail whenever i changed something).

> Now I hear sysvinit is also being kept private.

maybe the last change was a debian internal bugfix ?
the author is a debian maintainer, so new version could be a debian only

> Is it really that hard to upload to sunsite.unc.edu and
> tsx-11.mit.edu in standard .tar.gz format? (maybe you could
> substitute .cpio.bzip2 if you like that better, but NOT .deb)
> Nobody expects an .rpm, which wouldn't be fair to Slackware
> and do-it-yourself users anyway.

oh, the unchanged source for everything is available at every debian
mirror, and our patches as diff.gz too.

> If there is anything else you are hiding, please upload it
> to sunsite.unc.edu and tsx-11.mit.edu right now.

oh, we are not hiding : everything available.
please forgive us, if dont send a patch for every minimal change.
lots of authors are not interested in that, and our day has also only 24
h. at least i try to summarize my changes from time to time and send
them to the upstream author.

of course important bugfixes are forwarded as fast as possible.