Problem with colours in X

G'day All,
  I am unsure which package is doing this so I thought I'd email my problem
here and then send in a bug once we've worked out what package is the
culprit.

My problem is rather wierd but simple, I have lost nearly all my colours in
X.  This happens right after xdm (or kdm) lets me in after the logon screen,
for example in fvwm95 I don't have enough colours to give my that light
blue background.

Now one interesting thing was that libc6-based window managers had this
problem, the libc5-based ones did not.

If I start an xterm, i get these messages:

bash-2.01$ xterm
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "red3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "green3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "yellow3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "blue3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "magenta3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "cyan3"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "gray30"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "yellow"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "magenta"
Warning: Cannot allocate colormap entry for "cyan"

Starting xcolorsel gives me:
bash-2.01$ xcolorsel
Error: Cannot allocate any color.

and finally, any gnome-based program does:
bash-2.01$ gmix
Unable to allocate sufficient colormap entries.
Try exiting other color intensive applications.

** ERROR **: sigsegv caught

So what is going wrong here, and what can I do to debug things to see what
package is playing up?

  - Craig