Re: Red Hat 5.0 Release date

> FWIW, RedHat went the other way, their first libc6 beta was missing
> anything that they didn't have compiled for libc5 yet.  We really
> should have done the same thing and not allow packages in until they
> were converted.  That would have put pressure on people to do the
> conversion.

I think we've done a good job - we just haven't finished it off.

Red Hat has an advantage in that their distribution is actually quite
small - they don't have to work in all those "contrib" packages into
their release.

But we were in good shape to start pushing for a release back in August,
ie. we've been pretty relaxed about the whole thing, whereas Red Hat has
to get a product out the door in order to make money.

> One big issue is boot floppies. Another is FTP install, which hasn't
> worked right for years.

We should be able to fix that - I'm not sure what the problems are though.

> We could have our testers start testing upgrades from bo right now,
> I'm sure there are still a few issues to work out.

I think we should build a master list of package testers.  1500+ packages
times 5 testers per package is a pretty huge list.  That means each
developer would have to act as a tester for 40 packages.  All they have to
do is submit a "Pass" report, or file additional bugs.   Maybe that is
way too much work?  Maybe we could cut it down a bit by first withdrawing
packages that shouldn't be released?

Cheers,

 - Jim