Re: Adding a driver at installation

Paul J Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu> writes:

> Quite to the contrary, I have one of these cards (3c905-TX) which works very
> well.  It has never locked up.  Are you using the most recent driver code?

I'm not an expert on this, but I certainly didn't claim the card
didn't work some of the time.  I have two machines where the card
works fine, but I have another one which would lock up on a regular
basis, until the very latest driver releases (it's been OK since about
0.46B).

If you're subscribed to the vortex mailing list, you'll see problems
like this reported on a regular basis, which even the author admits
are hard to fix right.  I think some of the solutions involve
compromises in the driver where either full-duplex or bus-mastering
has to be disabled.

The people experiencing these problems (me included) have discovered
that it depends on a number of factors which are often, but not
always, related to load.

In any case, I was making the (still valid) point that if you're in
the market for a card, you might as well avoid this one, since there
are cheaper, better supported, and by all accounts faster, cards
readily available with the Tulip chipset.

--
Rob Browning <rlb@cs.utexas.edu>