Re: funny build error

> if you didn't reboot after the libc6 upgrade, or you are still using
> any libc5 programs that touch utmp (we fixed that for some of them in
> the new libc5 but some programs mucked directly) then utmp is
> corrupted and dpkg-* doesn't have a chance.  As a workaround, you can
> always do a setenv LOGNAME your-user-name...

 I have rebooted since my upgrade to libc6.  However, I am not sure if I have
any programs which touch utmp.  What exactly is "utmp", what does it do, and
how can I tell which programs are touching it?

Is utmp restarted every reboot?  If not, do I maybe need to delete my current
utmp (because it is corrupted) to let a new correct one be built?

                - Paul J Thompson

Defenders of the free software world, unite!
        - ask bruce (bruce@pixar.com) for his standard
          rhetoric for more info