Re: Selling Artistic License Software

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> The sentence that seems to me to be the basis of the problem is here:
>   5. You may charge a reasonable copying fee for any distribution of
>   this Package.  You may charge any fee you choose for support of this
>   Package.  You may not charge a fee for this Package itself. However,
>             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>   you may distribute this Package in aggregate with other (possibly
>   commercial) programs as part of a larger (possibly commercial)
>   software distribution provided that you do not advertise this Package
>   as a product of your own.

Quoting now from earlier in the Artistic license:
        "Reasonable copying fee" is whatever you can justify on the
        basis of media cost, duplication charges, time of people involved,
        and so on.  (You will not be required to justify it to the
        Copyright Holder, but only to the computing community at large
        as a market that must bear the fee.)

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/