package of ftape

I would like to package ftape. However, I seek advice!
ftape is the driver for floppy-controller tape drives like those
from Iomega, some from HP, some from Eagle, etc. Being a driver
it is kernel specific, at least in binary form; it seems reasonably
kernel version inspecific though, source-wise. However I'm not much
of a fan of packages with precompiled modules, since I don't tend
to run standard Debian kernel versions nor do I keep up with the
latest development. I usually run development but not bleeding edge.

So I would prefer to precompile the binaries and the documentation
but provide source in /usr/src. This could be compiled in postinst
but most likely just left, with sufficient documentation in /usr/doc.

I can't think of a better way. Any comments?

thanks,
Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.