Re: new GLIBC 2.0.6 release and e2fsutils?

    Bruce> I'm writing both Yann and Ted because there was a problem a
    Bruce> while back with GLIBC 2 vs. e2fsutils. FYI Ulrich is making
    Bruce> a GLIBC 2.0.6 release to add patches that have accumulated
    Bruce> over some months. I suspect this might impact e2fsutils.

 I had a bad drive crash a while after installing 2.0.5c.  The
 quotascan reported `something wierd', so I went to runlevel 1,
 umounted the partition, (/usr, /usr/local), and ran `e2fsck' on it.

 Several screens full of errors later, I remounted the now broken
 partition, to find bunches of my cvsroot in numbered files under
 lost&found, and all of /usr/bin completely vanished.

 I wound up reinstalling.  It takes almost 2 days to install a fairly
 full Debian `hamm' distribution at 33.6Kbps. :-)  Luckily, I had been
 makeing daily backups of all the conffiles and the cvsroot.  It's my
 home-school toybox, not a "production server", so nobody else
 suffered any loss.

 I don't understand `e2fsutils' yet... I've never even looked.  Can
 anyone explain what might have happened, if that's what did the drive
 in?  The partition is fairly large.  I understand there was some sort
 of problem with a seek function or something?