Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

> No one has ever called into question the quality of non-DFSG software.  In
> all honesty I think our differences over the wording of the DFSG come down
> to subjective interpretations.  You perceive one tone and I perceive
> another.  The only way to settle this at the distribution level is to call
> up Ian and ask him to moderate a vote on the subject.  :)

sure, whatever...

> I'm more concerned with Debian being the best distribtion than the most
> popular.  I see us largely as an experiment to see just how well you can do
> with free -- really free -- software.  I see Debian as challenging the
> traditional, corporate, source-code-concealed model of software
> development, and even in some sense of the "cathedral" model of free
> software development.  This is a *new* idea -- some of your suggestions,
> rather than being the fresh perspectives of a newcomer, sound to me more
> like the old hat we've been hearing from the big boys for years.  As far as
> I can gather, both Bruce and Ian are closer to my perspective than your.
> Dare I say it, a personal conversation I had with Ian Murdock about a year
> ago did not dissuade me from this perspective.  In fact, I think I promptly
> afterwards got serious about it.

how interesting.  I don't beleive anyone has ever actually explained to me
what the problem would be with, for instance, clarifying up the DFSG would be.
 Or maybe explain to me what is wrong with my opinion that the DFSG need to be
more obvious to the public.  I can understand how my other idea, changing
non-free to non-dfsg would be a lot of work, though.

> I don't think such a statement should go on the webpage unless it truly
> refelects the attitudes of the developers.  Bruce has not submitted that
> for any sort of ratification as official, and until and unless he does I'm
> going to regard it as a statement of his personal beliefs.

Not that statement, I was talking about say integrating either the DFSG or the
social contract into the front page.

-----
Brought to you by the letters E and K and the number 9.

Paul J. Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu>
<http://thomppj.student.okstate.edu/~thomppj/>