Re: Proposed solution to free/non-free Debate -- Please Read!

Paul J Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu> wrote:
> 3. Just a side idea which I think would be a good step has large
> effort involved. Change non-free to non-dfsg. I know the effort this
> would require and I have heard the complaints comments. Someone said
> before this was bad because it was harder for a new user to understand
> but this is exactly why I think we should change it. You couldn't
> help understand from where we came. Also, it would be (IMHO) a little
> more fair to those "not quite as non-free as some packages but still
> non-free packages."

I'm a little unclear on this "harder for a new user to understand [is
a good thing]" concept.  It seems to me that putting barriers in the
way of new users is mostly a good way to confuse them.

Is there anything going for this idea besides "more study tends to
yield better understanding"?

--
Raul