Re: non-DFSG section and CD distributers

Hi,
>>"Paul" == Paul J Thompson <thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu> writes:

Paul> However, this above litertic is so far to the extreme in free
Paul> software that I believe we need to quite seriously analyze the
Paul> angle from which we are coming.

	I, for one. like the angle we are coming from.

Paul> I will not argue the GPL.  If I had my way, all Debian software
Paul> would be GPLed.  However, there is a reality to which we must
Paul> submit -- the reality that we simply enough live in a commercial
Paul> world.

	And, from the viewpoint of the commercial  world, what we do
 is insane, and immediately dismissed. Why *should* we pay any more
 attention to the dictates of commercial enterprise than they do of
 us? (Ever see anything about Linux in information week?)

	Secondly, we have managed to survive quite well despite our
 DFSG and seeming disregard for the fact that we live in a commercial
 world.

Paul> 1.  Free software is most often better then non-free software.
Paul> I believe this stems from many facets, including both the heart
Paul> and soul put into it and the concept of something always coming
Paul> better from volunteers then forced labor.

	Paid labor, though, is a whole new ball game. Putting on my
 commercial hat, a paid team, with hard deadlines, can often produce
 results, taking unpopular decisions that need be taken, and
 performing tasks that are not fun, but are required, and can produce
 the finished product that volunteers very rarely do. (GNU and Linux
 software seem to be exceptions). Quality wise, we have nothing that
 comes close to any commercial word processor, web browser, photoshop,
 coreldraw, page maker, frame maker, quicken. ....

	Quality of software is a bad reason to espouse the free
 software cause. Though I see the viewpoint of people who only
 espoused Linux because it is better and cheaper than win 95. There is
 more to free software than that.

Paul> 2.  Also, certain limitations exist which make quite reasonable
Paul> the desire to somehow restrict the usage of software.  As far as
Paul> netscape and the like are concerned, the can basically be
Paul> labeled as absolutely anything we like, and I have some not so
Paul> nice ideas -- must worse then non-free.

	Reasonable, yes. I think that netscape is also
 reasoanable. People must live. I can see where they are coming
 from. I just don't think that is debian. The licence is suc that we
 do not offer netscape even in non-free, but I can understand the
 people behind netscape. I just don't have to join them

Paul> However, there are many software authors out there who put a
Paul> great deal of time and effort into a program because they care
Paul> about the result (and so on, etc etc...).  And then, when they
Paul> release it, they attach say perchance one of those "free as long
Paul> as your non-commercial, then you have to ask me (etc, etc)" tags
Paul> on there which we all recognize.

Paul> Now, I think it is starting at not-very-nice and proceeding
Paul> quickly into audacious, insulting, and wrong for us to label
Paul> them as non-free.  If you think about it, this is lumping there
Paul> efforts into the same category that we put netscape and the
Paul> like.  I don't believe that is something we should be doing as a
Paul> representative -- and I believe we are the most direct
Paul> representative -- of the Linux community.

	You have to draw the line some where. And the projedct drew
 the line at the DFSG. It *is* like netscape -- it is just a matter of
 degree.

	Also, we are not the representatives of the Linux
 community. We are not even the representative distribution. Most
 Linux heavywieght run Red Hat, and it is way more popular than
 us. They make all the nice political moves you advocate.

	Debian is not the representatiev Linux distribution, it is not
 the most popular, it is the *FREE* one. OK?

Paul> This is only one side of the negative aspect of our current
Paul> implementation of non-free.

Paul> The next side, however, is that which might come from the
Paul> reaction a new user of Debian/Linux to the non-free section.  I
Paul> remember the first time I saw that one of my favorite programs,
Paul> Pine, was in non-free.  And just because of this:

Paul> And we, the emminant and sovereign maintainers of Debian see fit
Paul> to usher it into the category of "non-free".  I apologize for
Paul> the sarcasm, but come on!  Is that the best we can do for them?

	Because by our definition of free, it is not. Sorry. Lines in
 the sand.

Paul> And no, I do not believe what I am saying is any of these:
>> We do not take the low road or the coward's course. We do not seek
>> to fit in. We do not trade our principles for popularity.
Paul> as some might say...

Paul> And from the final side, no matter what the case, we have to
Paul> maintain good public relations!!!  I am not saying we need to
Paul> bend our ways or ideals and suddenly throw all non-free and
Paul> contrib into main.

	Why? Why do we have to maintain good public relations? Why do
 you put in work for debian? Is this s popularity contest? I work for
 Debian 'cause it pleases my muse.

Paul> I do feel, however, that we without a shadow of a doubt need to
Paul> incredibly revise the way we currently deal with free/non-free
Paul> software.

	I think you do not understand what Debian is about then.

Paul> Please consider what I have said here strongly.  Please do not
Paul> reply in "free-software passion" as I have tried to respond as
Paul> best I can with reasonablity.  And (hoping noone would even
Paul> suggest this) I have no intention of "leaving Debian" anytime
Paul> soon or "going off and starting my own distribution if I don't
Paul> like the Debian way".  I do not feel that I could justify not
Paul> expressing the way I feel to support the words of Chris
Paul> (Lameter).

	I have tried to be reasonable (no insults, etc). I just
 strongly believe in the DFSG. It is more than a collection of words.
 If, however, you think reasonable is a viewpoint that matches your
 own, then I guess I am not reasonable.

Paul> As my closing point, I want to excerp a section from an
Paul> interview of Linux Torvalds by Hiroo Yamagata.  The full
Paul> interview can be found at http://www.twics.com/~tlug/linus.html.

Paul> If any of our opinions matter, it would be his.

	Actions speak louder than words. He did GPL Linux.

	manoj
 ps. Have we started making prospective maintainers look at the DFSG yet?
--
 Do not allow this language (Ada) in its present state to be used in
 applications where reliability is critical, i.e., nuclear power