Minor nit during dpkg-buildpackage

I have been building several packages today and ran accross a "strange"
error message in my build logs. Just before it askes me for my
pass-phrase, for the pgp signature portion of the build, I see a messages
that says:

.No configuration file found.

I have no idea what configuration file it is expecting to find. Will
having one help with the build? What should it look like?

BTW, I have been meaning to ask several other questions for some time now,
so, here goes ;-)

1. Why does dpkg-buildpackage declare, that it is building the package
from the orig.tar.gz file, so many times? It says something like:

dpkg-source: building ae using existing ae_962.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building ae using existing ae_962.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building ae using existing ae_962.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building ae using existing ae_962.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building ae in ae_962-16.diff.gz
dpkg-source: building ae using existing ae_962.orig.tar.gz
dpkg-source: building ae in ae_962-16.diff.gz

2. What's with the many repeated messages like:

no utmp entry available, using value of LOGNAME ("root") at
/usr/lib/dpkg/controllib.pl line 16.

No useful information here and these things clutter up the log with so
many trees you can't see the forest ;-)

3. Why am I asked for my pgp pass-phrase twice? Once before the call to
gencontrol, and once after the call. Does this have something to do with
that unfound configuration file?

TIA,

Dwarf