Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 21:37:29 +0100 (CET)
From: Remco Blaakmeer <remco@blaakmeer.student.utwente.nl>
To: Debian Developers List <debian-devel@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: How is the ftp being run?

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997, Branden Robinson wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Chris Fearnley wrote:
>
> > With rex, I only needed to mirror rex-updates and mount a cd with
> > Debian 1.2 in order to have a current copy of all "stable" packages.
> > But it seems we are doing slipstream releases now??
> >
> > What should I mirror to only have those files updated beyond my
> > mounted copy of bo??  Or should I just throw out my CDs and mirror the
> > whole damn copy of bo in order to keep updated as to what changes have
> > been made to the archive??
> >
> > I really liked the way rex was handled and it appears that things have
> > changed without me noticing!  Help!
>
> I hate "me too"'s, but I wholeheartedly agree with this sentiment.  I think
> every update to bo since 1.3.0 should be present in bo-updates.  It takes
> much less space to mirror bo-updates than the whole distribution, which
> manu of us have on CD-ROM.

Mee too :-)

Seriously, I very much liked the approach where the whole 1.1 or 1.2
distribution was in the archive as well as all the updates and fixes. Can
somebody re-state the arguments for this change? I believe Guy Maor had a
good reason, but I have forgotten what it was.

> Finally, can someone advise me on how to get dselect to just poke its nose
> into my bo-updates directory and offer to upgrade to the newer versions of
> already-installed packages?  I think I would have to build a Packages file
> to do that, and frankly the creation of one strikes me as somewhat
> confusing.
>
> Alternatively, some dpkg command line magic that does the following would
> be fine:
>
> cd .../bo-updates
> foreach package-in-this-directory
>   if package-installed && newer-version-here
>     dpkg -i this-version-right-here

dpkg -iGROEB .../bo-updates

-i : install
-G : Skip packages with earlier version than installed
-R : Recursive, takes a directory as argument and not a .deb file
-O : Skip packages not selected for install/upgrade
-E : Skip packages whose same version is installed
-B : Install even if it would break some other package

Note: The -B is useful if you have selected (using dselect) a package for
install which conflicts with another package and you have selected this
other package for remove or purge. dpkg will then automatically remove
this package.
Note: These are the same parameters as which are given to dpkg when you
install using dselect.

Remco