Re: Manifesto for the Debian Project leadership

Ian Jackson wrote:

> What I'm planning to do is make an arrangement whereby a sufficient
> number of developers can force a vote on an amendment.  The votes on
> all the amendments would be done together when they'd all be
> collected, at the same time as the vote on the resolution itself, so
> you'd still just cast one ballot at the end, but it would have more
> than just `yes/no' on it.

Can you please explain better what do you mean with the word
"amendment"?
The result would be very different depending on if you mean "a patched
proposal" or "a patch to a proposal".

On the former meaning it would be OK to have all the votes on a single
ballot, while on the latter meaning it would be better to have two
ballots: first vote for all the amendments (patches) and later vote
yes/no for the patched document.

Each of these two scenario has its good and bad.
The former is more quick and compact, but forces voters to choose one
"party"; the latter is slow and may end with unexpected results, but has
finer granularity and gives stronger value to the final vote.

I think we could live with the former, although a good "patch" to it
would be to add some sort of "ballotage" (second vote with less
possibilities).

Fabrizio