Re: weird problem compiling sac for libc6

On 9 Nov 1997, Steve Dunham wrote:

> Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
>
> > *   144   time_t ut_time;
>
> > sac.c:144: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
> > sac.c:144: parse error before `.'
>
> > anyone got any idea why gcc is complaining about 'no semicolon at end of
> > struct or union'?  Why are lines 144 and 151 a problem, but line 136 is
> > OK?
>
> Namespace polution.  There is no "." in 144, so the reasoning is that
> either time_t or ut_time is defined as a macro in a header file.
> "time_t" is a pretty standard type, so it must be ut_time.

thanks for your help.  it's solved the problem.

i thought it was something like that. i had already tried changing it to
tacacs_ut_time but that obviously still matches the macro.

i've renamed them to ut_tac3_time and ut_tac4_time and sac.c compiles
without error. it even appears to run correctly.

i'll make a non-maintainer release of sac_1.6-0_i386.deb later tonight
(unless Vincent wants me to mail my fixes to him for him to release) after
i've applied the same fixes to rawtmp.c

>   grep ut_time /usr/include/*.h
>
> gives:
>
> /usr/include/utmpbits.h:# define ut_time        ut_tv.tv_sec

i only grepped for it in utmp.h - no wonder i didn't find it.

> One solution would be to give "ut_time" a different name in those
> structures.

thanks,

craig

--
craig sanders
networking consultant                  Available for casual or contract