Re: new virtual package: pascal-compiler

On Mon, 3 Nov 1997, Ian Jackson wrote:

> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> > On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Paul J Thompson wrote:
> > > i was looking through the virtual package list and noticed an entry
> > > for c-compiler and fortron77-compiler.  since i am building the gpc
> > > package, i felt i should suggest a new virtual package name for it.
> > > this will simply be "pascal-compiler".
> >
> > Since there will be at least two pascal compiles (gpc and p2c) I agree
> > to your request. I'll add something to the next policy weekly
> > announcement for approval.
>
> I disagree strongly, and feel that you're violating the procedure.
> There was supposed to be a time for objections like mine.

As I said my plan was to include it in the policy weekly postings _for
approval_. This means, that people can object until a few days after the
policy weekly posting has been sent through debian-devel/debian-policy.

> Now for the technical details:
>
> There is no need for a virtual package unless something needs to
> depend on it.  Until the need can be demonstrated a virtual package
> should not be created.
>
> Are there fortran77-compiler and c-compiler virtual packages ?  What
> packages depend on these ?  If the answer is `none' then they should
> be removed.

The `fweb' package currently `Recommends: latex, gcc | fort77 | g77 |
ratfor77'. This dependency would be much simplier if fort77, g77, and
ratfor77 would provide `fortran77-compiler'.

And we do have several C compilers: gcc, pgcc, win32gcc, (perhaps more)

>  - And, how did they get on the list without me noticing ?
> I would have objected at the time.

There has been a discussion on these two VP's on debian-devel Sep 7 to Sep
9 in 1997.

The policy (vp-list) change has been announced on debian-devel-announce on
Oct 21.

So I think the following things should be discussed now:

1. Is the VP-list a list of vp's _in use_ or may it also contain vp's
   currently not in use?

2. Do we need the fortran77-compiler vp?

3. Do we need the c-compiler vp?

4. Do we need the pascal-compiler vp?

Thanks,

Chris