Re: new virtual package: pascal-compiler

Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 1997, Paul J Thompson wrote:
> > i was looking through the virtual package list and noticed an entry
> > for c-compiler and fortron77-compiler.  since i am building the gpc
> > package, i felt i should suggest a new virtual package name for it.
> > this will simply be "pascal-compiler".
>
> Since there will be at least two pascal compiles (gpc and p2c) I agree
> to your request. I'll add something to the next policy weekly
> announcement for approval.

I disagree strongly, and feel that you're violating the procedure.
There was supposed to be a time for objections like mine.  Now for the
technical details:

There is no need for a virtual package unless something needs to
depend on it.  Until the need can be demonstrated a virtual package
should not be created.

Are there fortran77-compiler and c-compiler virtual packages ?  What
packages depend on these ?  If the answer is `none' then they should
be removed.  - And, how did they get on the list without me noticing ?
I would have objected at the time.

Ian.