Re: mentors for new maintainers

> Igor Grobman wrote:
> >
> > > [Fabrizio wrote:]  Yes it is, but ... who volunteers?
> > > I remember Bruce posting a request for this more then once and after
> > > several months nothing have moved.
> >
> > I believe it was Fernando, and we'll never know who volunteered :-)
> > (I know I (I know I did).
>
> Yes, Fernando offered to coordinate, but I don't know if some new
> developer were effectively helped.

Right, because he disappeared shortly after.

> > > The problem IMO is that a lot of people can help on a list, where
> > > you can post and following a thread if you have time, but follow
> > > a new developer is a ... full time job.
> >
> > I think you are exaggerating it a bit here.
>
> yes, I am. Please let me say that the decision to mentor a person needs
> just a little more responsibility than following a package.

But it's no more than following 20 packages which some developers do.

> > I have a little bit of an experience of walking people through on IRC.
>
> Oh, IRC.
> As much non-edu people in Europe I can't use IRC because of telephone
> costs.

That's why I proposed mentoring through email.  IRC is great for mentoring
however.

> >   We do have enough docs to explain everything.  A
> > mentor just needs to fill in the small holes which are not clearly
> > explained in the docs.
>
> Then having this holes discovered on a public list could have the side
> effect of "closing" them (upgrading the docs).

I don't see how it couldn't be the same way with individual mentors.

> > Here is where debian-newbiemaintainer list might be a good idea.
> > Not only the newbies can ask questions, but the mentors too :).
>
> I think that the bigger advantage in the use of a list in in "sharing
> answers". Such a list should surely have a FAQ.

again, I am sure, eventually, a new-maintainer FAQ either way.

> > I still need more volunteers if we are going to go ahead with this
> >  idea.
>
> This could be the "final" problem.

Actually, it looks like I have close to enough people to get started.

--
Proudly running Debian Linux! Linux vs. Windows is a no-Win situation....
Igor Grobman           igor@debian.org                 igor@digicron.com