Re: New Packages: Newtonlink and Biss AWT

On 26 Oct 1997, Christian Leutloff wrote:

[snip]
> The program requires a /dev/newton device which should be a link to
> the right serial device. When (and how) should I create the symbolic
> link in a portable (as it is perl script it should run on all our
> Debian architectures without modification) and user friendly manner?

AFAIK, the use of such device links (e.g. "/dev/modem", "/dev/scanner") is
depreciated since they will fail with the device locking mechanisms
enforced by the Linux Filesystem Structure (FSSTND).

Why don't you set up a configuration file in /etc which contains the
setting of the device? This file could be configured via some
/usr/sbin/fooconfig script, which is called by the postinst script.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian is looking     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de
for a logo! Have a
look at our drafts     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
at    http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/