From: "Paolo Severini" <paolos@ares.omninet.it>
To: "Hamish Moffatt" <hmoffatt@mail.com>
Subject: Re: atp 1.2 copyright
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 21:55:10 +0200

Hi Hamish,

I' m sorry for the incredible delay of this answer,
but "lendl@dist.dist.unige.it" was my old address,
that I used when I was a college student, and I
forgot checking my mailbox for months...

However... 1.2 is the latest version, and unfortunately
I lack the time to dedicate to newer and better versions.

Thanks for your interest in 'atp'.
I'm glad if my program can be useful to somebody, and I'm
happy to promote Linux, so I'll be proud if you distribute it on CD,
under the GNU public license, and I don't mind if it will be part
of a commercial product.

Can you send me your patches ? :-)
Thanks, and excuse me again for this late answer.

Paolo Severini
paolos@ares.omninet.it

----------
> From: Hamish Moffatt <hmoffatt@mail.com>
> To: lendl@dist.dist.unige.it
> Subject: atp 1.2 copyright
> Date: Tuesday, August 26, 1997 2:25 PM
>
> Hi Paolo,
>
> I am a big fan of your atp program. Is 1.2 the latest version?
>
> I wish to create a package of atp for the Debian GNU/Linux
> distribution. Unfortunately, in your copyright you prevent
> the distribution of atp in a commercial product. Debian
> is often made available on CD-ROM by commercial vendors,
> and may form part of a commercial product at some stage,
> just as Redhat has been used in Caldera Open Linux. Unfortunately,
> this means that my package of atp will have to be included
> in the non-free section of Debian, which means that it won't
> be included on the CD-ROM and won't be available to a lot of Debian's
> users.
>
> Also, it is not clear in your copyright whether we are allowed
> to distribute binary-only packages (source will be available
> but in a separate archive), and whether we are allowed to distribute
> modified binary-only packages and modified source codes.
>
> I have modified atp to read the file /etc/papersize, which is a debian
> standard for the size of paper used. atp will now check the command
> line, then /etc/papersize, then use the compiled-in default.
> I will send you a patch against the original sources soon.
> If I did not add papersize support, Debian would probably consider
> this to be a bug.
>
> So Debian would like to distribute:
> (a) a binary package, containing binaries based on my modified sources;
> (b) your original sources, and
> (c) a set of patches to your sources, which add my modifications
>     and the control information needed to build the packages.
> Is this acceptable?
>
> Would you consider relaxing your non-commercial distribution
> clause and using the GNU public license for example?
>
> thanks,
> Hamish Moffatt,
> hamish@debian.org
>
> --
> Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust
hmoffatt@mail.com
> Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year,
RMIT.
> http://hamish.home.ml.org/ (PGP key here)             CPOM: [*****     ]
53%
> The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth.
--Bohr

-----End of forwarded message-----

--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.