Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

Paul asked that I return our private conversation to the list.

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Paul Seelig wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > Hi Paul!
> >
> Hi Dale!
>
> > First: It isn't clear whether you are asking that master.debian.org, and
> > it's mirrors provide this space, although it appears that that is what you
> > wish. If this is so, you aren't likely to get the space. This is more
> > because of the association with Debian that would automatically follow
> > rather than any desire to stifle your idea.
> >
> I was really hoping to see realized a section like the one i proposed
> on the Debian site and it's mirrors as an additional service to the
> users of 'stable' who do want to stay with 'stable' but at the same
> time want some components to be up to date.

OK, that is clear now. Debian prides itself (ourselves?) on the
professional quality of its distribution. I sense a strong feeling that
the close association (by providing the site in association with the
Debian archive) of this archive with Debian, when there is no control over
the way those packages will integrate into the "stable" distribution.

The Debian Distribution isn't just a sack of packages. The primary task in
building a distribution is "integration". We sometimes forget that because
our packaging system handles so much of that integration for us.

None of the above argues against the desire by some for an "interum"
solution. For me, this looks like a good candidate for a "spin-off"
distribution. (We keep encouraging "Debian Based" distributions, but the
takers are few)

> For me personally this has been the case among other packages with
> Midnight Commander, XEmacs/Emacs, Perl-5.004 and even teTeX-0.8 which
> i prefer to run out of the usual Debian context in /usr/local/ so that
> i can take advantage of the fixes and updates of the upstream
> maintainer Thomas Esser as soon as they come out ('stable' has a not
> up to date version of teTeX). Because of the latter i even made my
> 'equivs' dummy package allowing me to circumvent dpkg's dependencies.

We really need a better way to deal with dependencies satisfied by
programs in /usr/local. There needs to be a simple way to tell dpkg that
the dependency is satisfied. My current method is to edit the status file
and mark the package "Status: hold ok installed". This tells dpkg that the
package is installed, but keeps dselect from doing any "upgrading" that is
not desired.

> [...]
> people who'd like to contribute doing the work the official maintainer
> just can't be expected to provide.
>
> The trouble is that it's actually very long until 'unstable' gets
> eventually released and the upstream developers are not waiting doing
> nothing until this release happens. They are releasing new upstream
> versions fixing bugs and adding long wanted useful features and so on.
> And as a user i'd like to take advantage of these fixes and superior
> features now and not when 'unstable' gets finally released as
> 'stable'. I'd like to see 'stable' as a fixed reference platform to
> which additional up to date packages could be released as a
> complement.
>
> > If you want more visability than your own site, I'm sure that jimpic.com
> > would host your archive, you could probably even get sunsite to create a
> > debian-user-contrib area for such things. This would open up the task to
> > lots more folks as contributors. You don't need permission from SPI or
> > Debian to do any of these things.
> >
> Jim's idea is not so far away from what i had in mind. And if it is
> really not possible to create such a complementary directory on the
> Debian sites i'll happily upload my stuff there. Asking at sunsite
> would be a last resort. But to tell the truth i feel actually a bit
> discouraged by the overprotective resistance i've been reading between
> the lines of some repliers. I may be mistaken though...
>
> > In case you haven't guessed, I have no problem with the user-contrib idea,
> > but "the devil's in the details" ;-)
> >
> Yes, it's IMHO not just about uplading files and forget about them for
> possible contributors.
>
> > One thing that might help would be an "identifier" in the package name
> > that would "indicate" who the actual packager was. Something like a two
> > character code that could be looked up in the README file. This would let
> > various folks "develop" reputations and provide a filter for folks that
> > don't want a package from "Fred".
> >
> That's actually a pretty good idea.  I myself even think that
> "$SOURCE/debian/changelog"  should definitely state that the package
> in question is a non maintainer or unofficially contributed package to
> have a possibility to distinguish between official and non official
> packages. This way the state of the package in question could easily
> be reflected in the $PACKAGE.dsc and $PACKAGE.changes files.
> Bugreports should be sent directly to the unoffical packager. If a
> package seems to cause more trouble than benefits (based on user
> feedback) it should be instantly removed from the user-contrib site.
>
> > I might also suggest that the site contain a current copy of the
> > Debian Policy Manual, so that prospective submitters can check to
> > see that their packages will conform to the Debian system that they
> > are installed onto.
> >
> Unofficial packages which don't conform to Debian policy at least up
> to a certain acceptable degree shouldn't be provided to the public.

One of those devilish details is how to enforce this on a directory that
anyone can stuff packages into? Maintianers have access through their
accounts (and are accountable because of this) and are known persons.

> Thanks a lot, Dale! Your input has been showing the most support to my
> idea so far. It's a pity you didn't send it to the list though and i'd
> like to encourage you to resend this answer to debian-devel if you
> don't mind. I think other's would be interested too.

Your wish ...

Dwarf