DEBIAN POLICY WEEKLY, #4 (October 23, 1997)

DEBIAN POLICY WEEKLY, #4 (October 23, 1997)

The following message is a list of topics related to the Debian Policy which
are currently under discussion or which will be discussed in the near
future. This summary is sent to the debian-policy mailing list periodically
by the Debian Policy Manager.

A copy of this mail is sent to debian-devel to keep other developers
up-to-date. Please send any replies to the debian-policy mailing list.

Please do not quote the whole mail if you are only referring to a single
section to save bandwidth.

The Policy Manual on the Web

This message can also be read online at

   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-policy/weekly/

The Home Page of the Debian Policy Manual can be visited at

   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-policy/

This page contains links to the current documents, information about the
current development version (2.3.1.0 DRAFT), and links to related documents.

`official policy'.

The changes have already been worked into the current draft version of the
policy manual. (You might want to check out the draft if you want to see how
the changes integrate into the manual.)

     1. Bash vs Bourne shell

     2. Serial devices

     3. Guidelines for Motif applications

     4. Announcing new packages before uploading them

     5. Shared configuration files for news servers

     6. Secure maintainer scripts

     7. Leaving time stamps unmodified

     8. Dates in package versions

Policy topics about which I need additional input

The following topics have been discussed on the mailing lists or in private
mail. I need more information and personal opinions about these topics to
prepare a policy change:

     9. Usage of `must' and `should' in the manual

     10. Filesystem location of non-english documentation files

     11. UUCP-locking of devices

     12. X Window Manager policy

Policy topics which need to be discussed

The following ideas have been mentioned in recent discussions. Any input is
appreciated.

     13. Starting daemons in the postinst scripts

     14. Manual page inconsistencies

Postponed policy discussions

The following topics showed up in the past and have been postponed. There
are mentioned here to inform intrested developers that these topics have not
been forgotten. However, there is no need to raise any of these discussions
again. This will be done by the Policy Manager when its time for it. (You
can send him a private email if you think the discussion should be
continued.)

     15. Documentation policy

     16. New source package format

Topic 1: Bash vs Bourne shell

STATE: APPROVAL

There has been a long discussion on debian-policy about which features may
be used from the default shell /bin/sh. Currently, several packages use
bash-specific features but specify "#!/bin/sh" as interpreter.

As some users want to use "ash" as "/bin/sh" to save disk and RAM space, all
scripts using "/bin/sh" may only use a common subset of some shells.

I present the following policy change for approval. If noone objects, this
will become official policy:

     ``The shell `/bin/sh' may be symbolic link to any POSIX compatible
     shell. If a script uses non-POSIX features the appropriate shell
     has to be specified in the first line of the script (i.e.
     `#!/bin/bash') and the package has to depend on the package
     providing the shell (unless the shell package is marked
     `Essential').''

Topic 2: Serial devices

STATE: APPROVAL

The following policy has been suggested and will become official unless
someone objects: (the rationale will probably be removed since it's too long
for the policy manual)

      Serial Devices
      ====== =======

       Debian uses the new standard of /dev/ttyS? devices for serial
       ports. No package shall use the older /dev/cu* devices.

        Rationale:
        ---------

        This is a quote from Theodore Ts'o , who implemented
        these devices in the first place:

          /dev/ttySxx devices are fully POSIX-compliant TTY devices. If you
          are only going to be using one set of tty devices, you should be
          using /dev/ttySxx.

          /dev/cuaXX devices are different from /dev/ttySXX in two ways ---
          first of all, they will allow you to open the device even if
          CLOCAL is not set and the O_NONBLOCK flag was not given to the
          open device.  This allows programs that don't use the
          POSIX-mondated interface for opening /dev/ttySxx devices to be
          able to use /dev/cuaXX to make outgoing phone calls on their
          modem (cu stands for "callout", and is taken from SunOS).

          The second way in which /dev/cuaXX differs from /dev/ttySXX is
          that if they are used, they will trigger a simplistic
          kernel-based locking scheme: If /dev/ttySXX is opened by one or
          more processes, then an attempt to open /dev/cuaXX will return
          EAGAIN.  If /dev/cuaXX is opened by one or more processes, then
          an attempt to open /dev/ttySXX will result the open blocking
          until /dev/cuaXX is closed, and the carrier detect line goes
          high.

          While this will allow for simple lockouts between a user using a
          modem for callout and a getty listening on the line for logins,
          it doesn't work if you need to arbitrate between multiple
          programs wanting to do dialout --- for example, users wanting to
          do dialout and UUCP.

          I originally implemented the cuaXX/ttySXX lockout mechanism back
          before FSSTND established a standard convention for the use of
          tty lock files.  Now that it's there, people should use the tty
          lock files and not try using /dev/cuaXX.  The only reason why
          /dev/cuaXX hasn't disappeared yet is for backwards compatibility
          reasons.
                                     -- Theodore Ts'o

Topic 3: Guidelines for Motif applications

STATE: APPROVAL

The following policy has been suggested on debian-policy and will become
official unless someone objects:

     Guidelines for Motif applications
     ---------------------------------

     If you package a program that requires a non-free Motif library, it
     would be good if you can provide a "foo-smotif" and a "foo-dmotif"
     package, containing a (against Motif libraries) statically and a
     dynamically linked version, respectively. This way, users without
     Motif can use the package too, while users that have Motif installed
     get the advantages of a dynamically linked verison.

     Note, that packages that require non-free Motif libraries can't go
     into the main distribution.

Topic 4: Announcing new packages before uploading them

STATE: APPROVAL

According to current policy, every upload of a new package to the archive
has to be announced on debian-devel _before_ the package is uploaded to the
master site. However, must developers do not know this yet. That's why it
should be documented. (I think the right place for this is the Debian
Developer's Reference.)

Here is a list of advantages of this policy:

   * It helps the (potentially new) maintainer to tap into the experience of
     people on the list, and lets them know if any one else is working on it
     already

   * It lets other people thinking about working on the package know that
     there already is a volunteer, and efforts may be shared

   * It lets the rest of the maintainers know more about the package than
     the one line description and the changelog entry "Initial version" that
     generally gets posted to debian-devel-changes by default

   * It is helpful to the people who live off unstable (and form our first
     line of testers); we should encourage these people

   * I think the annoncements gives us a better feel of what is going on,
     and what is new, in the project.

   * We should not dismiss anybody who installs from usntable and helps us
     debug our packages as "fools, fools, you installed from unstable; you
     deserve what you get" -- we derive a certain benefit from the alpha
     testers

   * If we appreciate alpha testers, than any name changes have to be
     backwards compatible with the people who already installed the old
     package (conflict and relace old package name at a minimum)

Topic 5: Shared configuration files for news servers

STATE: APPROVAL

The following policy has been suggested on debian-policy and will become
official unless someone objects:

      News system configuration
      -------------------------

       All the configuration files related to the NNTP (news) servers and
       clients should be located under /etc/news. If any package has a
       large number of configuration files, (like, for example, inn does),
       then a package specific subdirectory under /etc/news should be used
       (example: /etc/news/suck or /etc/news/inn). If only one or two files
       are required, you may use a single file (example: /etc/news/mnews.conf).

       There are some configuration issues that apply to a number of
       news cliens and server packages on the machine, and these
       configuration values should be kept directly under /etc/news;
       specifically,

       /etc/news/organization: A string wich shall appear as the
                               organization header for all messages posted
                               by NNTP clients on the machine
       /etc/news/server:       Contains the FQDN of the upstream NNTP
                               server, or localhost if the local machine is
                               an NNTP server.

       Other global files may be added as required for cross-package news
       configuration.

Topic 6: Secure maintainer scripts

STATE: APPROVAL

The following policy change has been proposed. It will become official
unless someone objects now:

     Any scripts which create files in world-writable directories (i.e.
     in /tmp) have to use a mechanism which will fail if a file with
     the same name already exists.

     The Debian base distribution provides the `tempfile' utility for
     use by scripts for this purpose.

Topic 7: Leaving time stamps unmodified

STATE: APPROVAL

Most of our packages `touch' files in the packaging process (that is, the
modification time of the files gets reset to the current time). It would be
nice if the modification time of the upstream source would be preserved.

For example, you could recognize that some documentation is very old by
looking at the modification time. (Of course, this only works if the
upstream maintainer kept the original modification time.)

According to a recent discussion on debian-policy on this subject we
consider this topic as `nice-to-have', but without priority. Maintainers are
encouraged to keep the original time stamps, though.

I suggest that an appropriate note is added to the Packaging Manual.

Topic 8: Dates in package versions

STATE: APPROVAL

Some upstream sources use a `snapshot date' instead of a real version
number. As these `dates' are used as version id for dpkg it is useful to
make them all use the same format. (It doesn't matter if our version number
_looks_ different than the one from the upstream source when a date is used.
For example, everyone should be able to recognize that `96May05' is the same
as `1996.05.05'.)

Note, that our intention is not to make the upstream maintainer change
his/her version numbers. We only try to get unique version numbers within
our distribution.

I suggest that the following text will be added to the Debian Packaging
Manual.

     When choosing a version number for the .orig source, you should first try
     to respect the original version number if possible.

     If you are unable to determine the version number, you may use the date in
     which the program was written. When using a date as version number, use
     always the YYYY.MM.DD format (i.e. 4 digits for the year, 2 for the month
     and 2 for the day).

     If you are quite sure that upstream releases are monthly (e.g. for
     e-magazines), you can use also the short form: YYYY.MM

Topic 9: Usage of `must' and `should' in the manual

STATE: INPUT

Some people said that we should (or must? :-) change `should' into `must' in
the Policy Manual in most places, even if exceptions are allowed, since the
RFC's use this wording and some people might get confused, otherwise. Any
objections?

Topic 10: Filesystem location of non-english documentation files

STATE: INPUT

Background

There was a discussion about this topic on debian-devel around Nov 96, but
without any decision. Since a lot of package already install non-english
docs, we'll have to find a solution soon.

The previous discussion on this topic made clear, that we still have two
groups of people, one that prefers having the files in
/usr/doc/LANG/<locale> and symlinks in /usr/doc/<pkg>, and one that prefers
having the files in /usr/doc/<pkg>/<locale>.

In the past, the policy about doc files has been changed: We used to split
up the doc files into different directories (/usr/doc/copyright,
/usr/doc/examples, /usr/doc/<pkg>, etc.). Now we place all package-related
documentation files below /usr/doc/<pkg>.

Policy suggestion

In continuation of this policy I suggest to keep all documentation files in
one place: /usr/doc/<pkg>. In case of non-english docs, the files would be
placed into a subdirectory /usr/doc/<pkg>/LANG_<locale>

is the maintainers job to decide which form to be used for a specific
documentation file.

The LANG_ prefix is used to reduce the possibility of a file name conflict.
(I don't think an extra LANG/ directory is appropriate here.)

Any program/script that needs to access documentation files mechanically
should search for the files in the following directories (in exactly this
order):

     /usr/doc/<pkg>/LANG_<language>/
     /usr/doc/<pkg>/

Some people suggested to have an extra directory level for the documentation
file format (e.g. 'HTML/'). I suggest to postpone the discussion about this
sub-topic until we discuss the `documentation policy'. (Until then,
maintainers can decide whether they want to use an extra directory, or not.)

Feedback

Please tell me what you think about this suggestion. If people agree with my
proposal, I'll prepare the necessary policy changes and present them here
for approval.

Topic 11: UUCP-locking of devices

STATE: INPUT
REF:   cf. bug #11094 and #10575

The FSSTND (as well as the FHS draft) specifies how programs have to lock
UUCP devices. Unfortunately, the locking mechanism has several flaws.

To solve this dilemma, Fabrizio Polacco built a library for device locking
(liblockdev) which is fully compliant to the FSSTND requirements but also
solves some problems of the locking mechanism.

I suggest to change policy so that every Debian package has to use
liblockdev to lock/unlock devices.

Any comments are appreciated.

Topic 12: X Window Manager policy

STATE: INPUT