Re: About including Motif and Qt in GPL-ed programs

> I discussed this with Richard Stallman recently.
>
> The GPL explicitly states (near the end) that GPL-ed programs can not
> be incorporated into non-free software. This applies to such things as
> Qt and Motif. One caveat about this is that only the owner of the
> copyright has the right to enforce the license, and in this case the
> copyright owner is usually the violator and will not enforce against
> himself. However, if _somebody_else_ makes a version of your program
> linked to Qt or Motif and you don't like that, you are within your
> rights to enforce against them.

There's one thing I'd like to know then: I believe the editor I'm
using at the moment (Emacs) was originally written by Richard Stallman.
So I presume he's one of the owners of the copyright of Emacs.
Then, how does Richard Stallman feel about versions of Emacs
linked with Motif? Is he going to enforce GPL?

--
joost witteveen, joostje@debian.org

My spamfilter is so good, it correctly catches 90% of incoming spam,
*including* all email from my PhD supervisor.