Re: Forwarded: RFC: New source packaging format

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Ralf Baechle wrote:

> Porting a distribution without such a bootstrapping concept to new
> hardware is a real pain.  I've gone through it several times when
> porting Linux to new hardware.  Unfortuneately no Linux distribution
> has such a concept.  Imho it should go even further.  I'd really love
> to see something like "make world" from a single source tree a la BSD.

This has been discussed a while ago on debian-devel (~ March/1997), but
nothing clearly came out from the discution except that many developpers
are afraid by the amount of work needed. It seems like it will be possible
to build the whole distribution with a single command soon, but it'll be
based on wrappers scripts around dpkg-source and dpkg-buildpackages.

NB: AFAIK only the freelinux project[*] is already using a similar system,
although it seems to be a stale project (www page not updated since May &
no traffic on the mailing-list).

[*]: www.freelinux.org

--
-  vincent@debian.org     | RENARDIAS Vincent |          vincent@waw.com  -