Re: User-contrib, up-to-date stable

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Bruce Perens wrote:

> Registered developers may build and upload newer versions of packages that
> may be used with "stable", but will not become part of "stable". These will
> go in a special directory named <what do we name it?>. What packages are built
> depend on the developers judgement of what is necessary.
>
> The <whatever we name it> directory should have its own Packages file,
> and should be clearly marked:
>
> 	These are updated versions of packages that can be used with the
> 	stable system. They are not well-tested. Use them at your own risk.
> 	In the case of a severe bug, you should revert to the version of the
> 	program in the stable system. If you report a bug with these programs,
> 	be sure to report the version, and note in your report that you got
> 	the program from this directory.

Why not use <codename>-updates for this purpose?

As I understand it, developers upload their packages to incoming on master,
and Guy decides whether to merge it into 1.3.1rX or just stick it in
bo-updates.

It looks to me like bo-updates is already fulfilling a very similar purpose
to what everyone has in mind for "stable libc5 updates".

I had thought that bo-updates was going to work like rex-updates did, but
it isn't.  Instead it seems as if some stuff is getting moved into bo-fixed
without ever passing through bo-updates.  This makes it tough to keep up
with bo by hand.

Alternatively, we could call it "bo-enhanced"; any MIS Debian users would
love it (though perhaps not as much as "bo-paradigm-shifted").  :)

--
G. Branden Robinson                 |  A committee is a life form with six or
Purdue University                   |  more legs and no brain.